lunes, 14 de mayo de 2007

Soundtrack to a Life


I've often wished I could have a continuous soundtrack to my life. Nothing to loud or elaborate, just some background music to put the finishing touches on moments of passion, freedom, loneliness, stupidity, and the general enjoying of life. And with my handy-dandy Ipod, i've almost got it i suppose... at any rate, i think you can learn a lot about a person from the books they read, the movies they enjoy, and for me, i think most can be communicated through the music i love, as it's such a strong part of my life. So here's a list of my favorite 11 songs with some commentary. Let me know if you want me to send you any of these, i'd be more than happy.

11. "Clair De Lune" by Claude Debussy. You might recognize it from the end of Ocean's Eleven. I'm a sucker for romantic music (not having to do with love, but the period of "classical" music that coincides with impressionism in painting, chronologically speaking) and this definitely is a thing of beauty.

10. "The Lighthouse's Tale" by Nickel Creek. I'm also a sucker for bluegrass. Not country. I loathe country music, but take away the twang of country and replace it with a mandolin, violin, and a solid acoustic guitar and you get Nickel Creek. This song is probably one of the saddest i've ever heard. Told from the perspective of the lighthouse, it recounts the tale of on old romance that ends in a death and a suicide.

9. "Push" by Matchbox 20. Told from the point of view of a neglected and abused woman, Rob Thomas pulls at the heartstrings with lyrics like "I don't know if i've ever been really loved/ by a hand that's touched me" and "I don't know why you couldn't just stay with me/ Couldn't stand to be near me/ When my face don't seem to want to shine". Powerful stuff.

8. "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones. "The Nearness of You" could also be substituted for this song. There is nothing in the world that can set the right late evening, post-buzz, enjoyable company, wrapped-in-each-other's-arms mood than Norah. Simply beautiful.

7. "Kill" by Jimmy Eat World. After being put asleep by the past 4, this one will wake you up. A general rant on having to wait for a significant other, and a bitter complaint against an unrequieted love, the end of this song is full of strength. "I loved you, and I should've said it. But tell me just what has it ever meant? I can't help it, Baby, this is who I am. Sorry sorry but i can't just go turn off how i feel." Not so poetic, but with Jim Adkins vocals, very powerful.

6. "A Long December" by the Counting Crows. I borrowed lyrics of this song for the title of my blog, as it's home to some of my favorites. In general, the Counting Crows are great for poetic lyrics, aside from some of their newer pop that hit the United Statesian short waves. "The smell of hospitals in winter, and the feeling that it's all a lot of oyesters, but no pearls. And all at once you look across a crowded room to see the way that light attaches to a girl."

5. "Porcelain" by Moby. You know? I don't really know why i love this song. It's a beautiful work of art. It comes with pangs of guilt, however. "I never meant to hurt you. I never meant to lie. So this is goodbye".

4. "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap. If you've never heard this song before, you've never heard anything like it, so you just plain need to hear this song. Imogen layers her voice over itself a number of times using a synthesizer, no other instruments, and produces a haunting and beautiful song full of lush harmonies. Incredibly unique. If you listen to just one of these songs, though it's not in the #1 slot, listen to this one.

3. "Do What You Have To Do" by Sarah McLachlan. I can say with all confidence that Sarah McLachlan is the most poetic songwriter that I am aware of. It also helps that her musical originality and swooning voice are also added to the mix, which produces art, time and time again.

"What ravages of spirit
Conjured this temptuous rage
Created you a monster
Broken by the rules of love
And fate has led you through it
You do what you have to do
And fate has led you through it
You do what you have to do ...
And I have the sense to recognize that
I don’t know how to let you go
Every moment marked
With apparitions of your soul
I’m ever swiftly moving
Trying to escape this desire
The yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do
The yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do
But I have the sense to recognize
That I don’t know how
To let you go
I don’t know how
To let you go
A glowing ember
Burning hot
Burning slow
Deep within I’m shaken by the violence
Of existing for only you
I know I can’t be with you
I do what I have to do
I know I can’t be with you
I do what I have to do
And I have sense to recognize but
I don’t know how to let you go
I don’t know how to let you go
I don’t know how to let you go "

2. "Sparks" by Coldplay. If i could have written any one song, i would've written this one. Very characteristic of my favorite music, Sparks is a lyrically simple, slow 6/8 ballad that seems to tell of romantic failings. "My Heart is yours, it's you that i hold on to. That's what i do. I know i was wrong, I won't let you down. Oh yeah i will yeah i will, yes i really will."

1. "Clocks" by Coldplay. This is it. This has been my favorite song since the first time i heard it in 2003. I can't exactly tell you why. Lyrically, it's absolutely nothing special at all. But it's moving and beautiful. It is this song i turn to to complete the most beautiful moments of my life. It begins every road trip, completes the thin air atmosphere of every mountain i've climbed in the Grand Tetons, and ends many of my days with my head on the pillow. "Home. Home. Where I wanted to go".

5 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Great selection Mark, although some of them I'm yet to hear, I coincide with a lot of them. This is a small list of some of my favorites>

7. Fuera de Mi (La Ley). The passion, the attempt to make sense of it all, has always inspired me.
6. It ain't over 'til it's over (Lenny Kravitz). "So many tears I've cried, so much pain inside, but baby it ain't over til it's over..."
5. Leaving on a Jet Plane (Jewel and Bjork version). "..so kiss me and smile for me, tell me that'll wait for me, hold me like you'll never let me go, cause I'm leaving on a Jet Plane, I don't know when I'll be back again". I guess I'm just a sucker for dramatic goodbyes.
4. Cuando Tardas y Demoras (Perro Zompopo). Really heartfelt, simple song about the waiting before the return.
3. Humble Me (Norah Jones). Even before paying close attention to the lyrics, the warmth in her voice when she sings it it's just moving..
2. Better Together (Jack Johnson). What can I say? It's just better when we're together..
1. Space Between (Dave Matthews Band). I guess this one just means a lot to me. Nevertheless a great song.

Cheers

Mark dijo...

I've never heard 4, 6, or 7 , and i haven't heard Jewel and Bjork's version of Leaving on a Jet Plane... but i heartily agree with your 1, 2, adn 3. I just learned "space between" on guitar a few weeks ago coincidentally.

And as far as "Better together" goes... well... shoot i don't know because we've never actually met... so maybe we should have "L" arrange something of the sort before I leave the country on the 23rd of June.
Peace, Joy, Love!

Crisálida dijo...

Entonces, te paso una lista de mis favoritas sabiendo que no existe una número 1, te las presento sin un orden de prioridad... y te estoy enviando luego las canciones como quedamos:

- Vuela muy alto de Jerry Rivera, en sus dos versiones. Aprender a dejar de aferrarse a algo o alguien: "Se que has dado de ti lo que has podido y a veces nos engaña el corazón por un capricho", "Aunque me arranques la piel vuela muy alto, no te detendré". Bailarla en su versión de salsa es como burlarse de apegos pasados y saber que se continuó a la vez que se sabe que lo que ahora soy tiene que ver con lo que viví con ellos en su momento...

- Hijo de la luna de Mecano. La dulzura con que canta Ana Torroja, aún las leyendas e historias más trájicas, me encanta.

- Derroche de Ana Belén. "Que no acabe esta noche ni esta luna de abril, para entrar en el cielo no es preciso morir". Quien olvida una noche de verdadera pasión?

- No habrá nadie que te quiera más que yo de Rosana (que no se si ese es el nombre de la canción en realidad). "Haré de mi un refugio cuando el dolor te duela, porque en lo más hermoso también se tienen penas". Aunque la verdad no puedo dejar de mencionar Talismán, A fuego lento y Contigo de Rosana. Sus letras son geniales y su música muy particular. Y por supuesto la canción recién posteada "Sin miedo". :)

- Que alguien me diga de Gilberto Santarosa. Un poco depre en realidad: "Cuando creo que por fin ya te he olvidado y que voy a enamorarme, aparece de la nada tu recuerdo...". Creo que lo que más me gusta de esta pieza es que es un bolero con el que aprendí cuánto se puede decir sin decir...

Crisálida dijo...

Trágicas con "g". Odio las faltas de ortografía y que ya por publicado no lo pueda corregir :)

Crisálida dijo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if1wVeaZvUw

Esta canción te va a gustar: Vivo por ella de Andrea Bocelli. Por esa que disfruto bailando y cantando, por esa que amas tocar, esa que buscas crear: la música.